Most of the people still in 2021 are only aware of two types of diabetes. But, about 70 years ago, in the 1950s, the first-ever case of Gestational Diabetes was detected. The abnormalities a woman faced in the carbohydrate metabolism during her pregnancy led to its diagnosis.
Globally 1% to 28% of women are suffering from gestational diabetes. In the US, about 10% of pregnant women are victims of this third type of diabetes.
My information regarding Gestational Diabetes got innovated a few months back, when I was practicing house-job in al-syed hospital Rawalpindi. I attended to many diabetic patients there and got startled by the stats. The women who are normal before can get gestational diabetes during pregnancy. Let’s gain some insights on it together.
Placental Glucose causing Gestational Diabetes:
In pregnant women, the placenta formed after 3 months of pregnancy, starts releasing glucose. Due to the increase in weight, some women face obesity and insulin deficiency. Less insulin and more formation of glucose collectively lead to a type of Diabetes “Gestational Diabetes”.
- The word Gestation came from the Latin word ‘Gestare’ meaning “to give birth”.
- This type of diabetes occurs specifically during the gestation period, that’s why it is named so.
Effects of Gestational Diabetes
Gestational Diabetes like other types has immense effects on nerves, eyes, kidneys, and the immune system of the mother. Moreover, they lead to many other risks like
- The baby born might be obese
- Risk of getting prone to diabetes type 2
- The mother might get obese after pregnancy
- Increase the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- In some cases, the mother faces the complications of early birth.
- It affects the vision of the pregnant woman.
- Hyperglycemia invites the risk of getting vaginal, skin, and bladder infections.
- Like other types, the patient faces unusual thirst, hunger, and frequent urination.
How a Pregnant Woman can Avoid Gestational Diabetes?
It’s a necessity for a person to repeat that, “I am way stronger than Diabetes.”
Believing in yourself and staying positive at first can be helpful to avoid such a chronic disease. During house-job, the doctors who were assisting us were the best diabetes doctors in Rawalpindi. They guided us a lot from the basic information about the disease to the cure and prevention of it. I would love to share some of the effective tips and tricks for women who are trying to avoid gestational diabetes.
Intake of healthy food
A pregnant woman usually takes more care of her diet during the gestation period.
A proper diet plan by a nutritionist is requisite. There are specific fruits and vegetables that can aid in avoiding risks during pregnancy. Some of those food items are:
- Whole grains like pasta, cereal, rice, and bread in a moderate quantity.
- Daily eating of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Intake of starchy vegetables like tomatoes, corn, peas, and mushrooms in portions.
- Adding some beans and lentils to your diet.
- Eggs and Greek Yoghurt can be proven as an effective diet.
Maintaining your weight
Being obese is the major cause of Diabetes. Losing weight before pregnancy can be beneficial throughout the whole gestation period.
- Avoiding sugary food assists in losing weight.
- Considering a specialist doctor of obesity can be worthwhile.
- Walking regularly for half an hour daily helps in maintaining weight.
Exercising regularly during pregnancy
Hiring a physical therapist during these crucial 9 months is pretty useful. The company of a fun-loving therapist can make exercise an enjoyable activity. This habit will help in staying fit and healthy after the pregnancy too. Some of the common exercises during pregnancy are:
- Regular Swimming can be fun along with being healthy.
- A regular walk
Stress and Anxiety provoke the rise of blood sugar levels. During pregnancy, stress is threatening the health of both mother and baby. Furthermore, it is a major risk of getting diabetic. Having a sound sleep daily for 8 hours can be helpful in managing stress.
Any of the three types of diabetes needs proper attention and treatment. Neglecting the symptoms and keeping on eating an unhealthy diet can be menacing. Stay firm, keep on exercising, eat healthy, have a fun time, say a good-bye to the cakes, and follow the saying of Paula Deen,
“I was determined to share my positive approach and not let diabetes stand in the way of enjoying my life.”