A man threw petrol bombs attached with fireworks at a centre for processing migrants in the southern English port of Dover on Sunday and then killed himself, witnesses said.
The attacker, a white man in a striped top, drove up to the centre in a white SEAT sports utility vehicle.
He got out and threw three petrol bombs, one of which did not go off, the photographer said.
The attacker was described as a white man in a striped top, who drove up to the centre in a white SEAT sports utility vehicle
A man has allegedly thrown a petrol bomb at a migrant processing centre in Kent, with fears of a potential loss of life.
He then drove to a nearby petrol station and killed himself, it was said. Police arrived minutes afterwards and cordoned off the area.
The Home Office and Kent Police have been approached for comment.
Government figures show almost 1,000 migrants arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel yesterday.
Huge lines of people thought to be migrants could be seen waiting to be processed at the Border Force compound in Dover, Kent, as a total of 990 arrived.
Nearly 40,000 have arrived in the UK so far this year after attempting the treacherous trip from France, crossing the world’s busiest shipping lanes in dinghies and other small boats, provisional figures show.
It is the highest number of arrivals in one day for a number of weeks, with more crossings taking place on Sunday morning.
The highest number in a single day was set on August 22 when 1,295 people arrived in the country.
It comes after an immigration watchdog said he was left ‘speechless’ by conditions at the Manston migrant processing centre in Kent, and warned the site has already passed the point of being unsafe.
Chief inspector of borders and immigration David Neal told MPs earlier this week that Manston was originally meant to hold between 1,000 and 1,600 people, but there were 2,800 at the site when he visited on Monday, with more arriving.