Thirty-eight people were hurt, with two suffering life-threatening injuries, after a fire broke out inside a 37-story building in Manhattan on Saturday.
The FDNY reported that a three-alarm fire erupted from the battery of a micro-mobility device, or e-scooter, at around 10:30am on the 20th floor of an apartment building at 429 East 52nd Street.
Officials said at least two dozen residents rushed to the roof while others hung out of their windows to try and escape the fire.
Harrowing video on social media shows the moment firefighters quickly worked to perform a rope rescue of a woman clinging from the building.
‘That is a last resort from the FDNY,’ Deputy Assistant Chief Frank Leeb said of the rescue.
At least two people were reported to have sustained life-threatening injuries, with five others listed with severe injuries.
About 38 people were hurt, with two suffering life threatening injuries, after a fire broke out on the 20th floor of a Manhattan apartment block
Fire officials said the fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery that was powering a micro-mobility device, which typically refers to an electric scooter or e-bike.
Fire-fighters were on the scene within three minutes and were met with heavy smoke conditions inside the apartment building.
At least two people suffered from smoke inhalation due to the fire.
Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh commended first responders’ quick action to rescue the building’s residents.
‘I cannot emphasize enough the extraordinary work of our members this morning in unbelievably dangerous conditions,’ Kavanagh told reporters.
Leeb echoed the praise from the quick-acting first responders to save more than three dozen people.
‘What we saw today was our training, our teamwork and our absolute dedication from the units that operated up there with the life-saving rope rescue, to passing them off ot our exceptionally trained EMS personnel to get these patients all off-scene in a matter of minutes,’ Leeb said.